Randolph Randy Camp

Randolph Randy Camp
SCREENWRITER/ NOVELIST

Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Journey Continues: Breaking Bread

It’s the middle of August 2015. I’m in my mid-50’s and I’m still on my ‘walkabout’, still learning and growing. Recently, I’d graduated from college and received an Associate of Science (A.S.) Degree in Mental Health Studies – Substance Abuse Counseling.
As I explore and venture deeper into this counseling field, I hope that this college degree and my academic accolades, such as making the Dean’s List three times, won’t be the very thing that will swell my head and, ironically, separate me from the very people whom I’d intended to help. I hope that I won’t become the administrator or the executive behind the fancy oak desk who had never step foot into a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen.
Some of my best conversations have been with “street people” and the homeless. And there’s no better feeling in this world when you’re able to break bread and get to know another human being at a soup kitchen. It would be an outright shame if my fancy college degree actually kept from those who are still finding their way and climbing.
Now that I’m equipped with this college degree, maybe it will open some doors that were once closed to me…and just maybe, I’ll find my way in and prop the door open for those afflicted with an addiction, those in need, and those breaking bread at the soup kitchen. – Randolph Randy Camp
More at http://www.goodreads.com/randolphcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment