Randolph Randy Camp

Randolph Randy Camp
SCREENWRITER/ NOVELIST

Sunday, October 11, 2015

A Pinch of Salt: Character Growth

One of the many joys I get from being an author is having discussions or answering questions from aspiring writers via email or during classroom book talk sessions. Due to my recent move from New York to Iowa, I haven’t had a chance to check my inbox as I normally would. After checking my (overflowing) mailbox yesterday, I thought that it might be best to write this post, as it may answer a wide variety of questions regarding character development, and simultaneously offer what I consider to be my greatest advice to aspiring writers of any age.
Along with never having your characters sound the same, I think that adding a little spice to your character is one of the best tools in creative writing because it makes your characters more realistic and it certainly adds flavor and depth to your story as well. In my novel ‘WET MATCHES’, the backstory of one of my adult characters named Jack was revealed as the plot unfolded. In the story, the reader connects a childhood incident in which Jack experiences in the 6th grade with his current, sometimes unpredictable behavior when he’s interacting with certain individuals.
Providing your readers with some insight into your characters’ childhood experiences or their backstory is a very valuable tool. Showing how your characters are different or may have grown from chapter one through chapter ten is another valuable tool in creative writing, and it’s clear evidence of your characters’ growth.
In real life, no two humans are the same and this should be the same in your stories. No two characters should sound or behave in the same manner. Revealing a character’s backstory is a great method of adding spice and seasoning to your character, which will only enhance and make your whole story more interesting and tasty to your readers.  – Randolph Randy Camp
More Writing Tips at http://www.goodreads.com/randolphcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment